What You Should Know About Canvas Mounting
Since canvas does not have the same requirements as paper, it does not require glazing, and it is possible to display without a glass cover.
- Canvas stretching involves taking an unstretched piece of canvas (blank or painted with oils or acrylics) and stretching it out, and securing it onto a wooden framework support known as stretcher bars. We use only premium grade timbre to ensure there are no defects in the process of mounting, keeping it straight and long lasting for many years to come.
- Indigenous artists from across Australia predominantly use this method of material for their artworks.
- Quick tip when purchasing a canvas (prior to framing): We strongly recommend that you have at least 2 inches of white border (rebate), during the stretching process you would typically lose around 5cm of the artwork and if there is no rebate you may lose some of the image in in the stretching process.
Once you have decided on displaying your canvas artwork on stretcher bars aka “Stretching” , the next decision is whether you would like the display to stop at the edges or wrap around them. The wrapping option selected will determine if you should frame or not. Should you choose to frame, we have several options to choose from, or we can custom make a frame.
- Stretching the canvas to have the print stop at the edges with the entire print displayed and the blank border of the canvas visible on the sides of the stretchers is referred to as a "Gallery Wrap".
- Stretching the canvas, so a part of the print wraps over the edges of the stretchers, known as a "Museum Wrap", is generally the method chosen when you do not want to frame a canvas.
- The frames available for displaying stretched canvases include a front loader or floating frame. Floating frames are available in various types of colours and wood stains.
Fast Facts About ACT Framing Doctor
We are a family-owned and operated business based in Canberra, ACT, with over 25 years of experience in producing frames. We offer a wide range of services, including custom framing, canvas stretching, wholesale curation, restoration of existing frame components, printing, and engraving.
Please feel free to contact us for any queries regarding any framework you require. Pop us an email or complete our online form, and we'll get back to you.